Barista Training 101
A foundational training for anyone who aspires to be a Barista. You will walk away with an in-depth understanding of coffee and professional skills to upgrade the coffee experience at home or at your business.
This is a unique collaboration between Mighty Valley Coffee & North Folk Cafe to bring you elaborate theory and real life practice to kickstart your journey in the world of coffee.
Barista Training 101 - laying the foundation
Duration: 2.5+ hours
3 instructors for a maximum size group of 12 people.
Class attendees receive a certificate of completion.
Time: October 28th, Thursday - 4pm to 7:30 pm
Early bird price: $125
Regular price: $150
Dasha Smolentseva - Co-founder of Artizen Kombucha since 2012, Founder of North Folk Cafe. Winner of the Business Breakthrough Award 2021. Personal instagram: @legendsofdasha Business: @northfolkcafe @artizenkombucha
Kelsey Dold - Manager of North Folk Cafe
Jarryd Lee - Owner and Head Roaster of Mighty Valley Coffee, Yoga Instructor Business instagram: @mightyvalleycoffee
Basic Course Outline
The Third Wave by Jarryd
- Mighty Valley Coffee Story
- Learn the history of coffee, difference between blends and single origin coffee, light vs. dark roasts, what is decaf
- Sourcing from Co-ops and independent farms.
Pulling the perfect shot by Jarryd & Kelsey:
- Basics of the Espresso machine & Bean grinder
- Calibrating the grind & dosing
- Pulling the perfect shot
- Tempering, adjusting and the little details
- What can go wrong and how to fix it
Espresso based drinks by Kelsey & Dasha:
- The fundamentals of the most popular espresso based drinks
- Steaming milk correctly
- Techniques for pouring steamed milk
- Difference between regular milk and alternative mylks
- Common mistakes to avoid
Care of the machine:
- Taking care of the machine: cleaning, schedule of maintenance, etc.
- Now let's practice on a commercial Rocket Espresso Coffee Machine!
Additional Q&A + networking with Jarryd, Dasha & Kelsey